Iowa-bred: All thoroughbred horses foaled in Iowa prior to January 1, 1985, which are registered by the Jockey Club as Iowa foaled shall be considered to be Iowa-foaled.
After January 1, 1985, eligibility for brood mare residence shall be achieved by meeting at least one of the following rules:
(1) Thirty days residency until the foal is inspected, if in foal to a registered Iowa Stallion.
(2) Thirty days residency until the foal is inspected for brood mares which are bred back to registered Iowa Stallions.
(3) Continuous residency from December 31 until the foal is inspected if the mare was bred by other than an Iowa registered stallion and is not bred back to an Iowa registered stallion.
Iowa-bred Purse Supplements:
(1) Iowa-bred purse supplements for restricted Iowa-bred races: 35% owner award paid to horses finishing first through fourth place.
(2) Iowa-bred purse supplements for Iowa-breds in open company races: 35% owner award paid to horses finishing first through fourth place.
Supplements are capped at $50,000 limit per race.
Breeders Awards: Awards equaling 12% of the winners share of the purse won by an Iowa-bred Thoroughbred in the state of Iowa are paid to breeders at the end of each calendar year through the Iowa Breeders Fund. 6% Award for horses finishing 2nd – 4th.
Restricted Races: Each licensed track in the state of Iowa is required by law to card at least one race per day restricted to Iowa-bred horses.
IOWA BRED STARTERS 2008-2014